So you want to come on a mission trip that engages with other cultures? That also addresses complex issues like poverty, housing, or community health? A mission trip that doesn’t require your students/volunteers to have a passport? Maybe a trip that is a little closer to home? We think FIRM might be a good place to start!
We regularly have mission groups come to serve at FIRM, including youth groups, adult groups (even groups of seniors) and mixed age groups. The first step is checking out our website. Look at what programs and services we are currently providing to Fresno refugee communities (so you know what you’re getting yourself into).
The next step is initiating contact with FIRM Executive Director, Zack Darrah. We recommend filling out this mission trip inquiry form. Ask us any questions you have, tell us where you are traveling from, and offer some potential dates for your group’s trip. Summer and spring break are great times for your mission trip. Zack will design a trip that best meets the need of your group through the “Mission Team Menu” which allows for each team to customize their trip exactly like they would want to!
Some examples of what many teams experience on their trip to FIRM:
- Cultural Orientation with stories from refugees
- Service projects at FIRM
- Learn traditional Laotian dance
- Vacation Bible School for the Southeast Asian refugee community
- Planning and operating a carnival for the refugee community
- Experiencing a church service in a Hmong, Laotian or Slavic church
- Experiencing a local pho restaurant
- AND MUCH MORE!
Other Important Details:
- Volunteers can be of all ages
- One adult required on site for every five youth
- Cost to your group is $30 per person per day, to cover staff time and group cultural training
- Depending on projects, additional minimal supply costs may be necessary
- FIRM staff will assist your team with accommodations either on campus (additional $10/per person, per day fee) OR at local options such as Fresno State University